The new chair for Data Science and Data Engineering
The new chair for “Data Science and Data Engineering”
(http://data.bit.uni-bonn.de/) is looking to hire six fully-funded PhD candidates in the research areas of
* graph mining (two positions open)
* anomaly detection (two positions open)
* predictive analytics (two position open)
Candidates with a strong background in big data, data mining, machine learning or computational statistics are encouraged to apply. Hiring process starts July 1st, 2018 and will continue until all positions are filled. The positions are fully funded and immediately available.
** Job Description **
Our research covers knowledge discovery, data mining, big data systems, and data exploration for high dimensional data, graph data, time series, and data streams. The six open positions will complement our current research team and add new research topics in Graph Mining, Anomaly Detection, and Predictive Analytics. All positions will have close collaboration with scientific/industrial partners on high dimensional data, dynamic sensor streams, and large networks.
Research Associate / PhD Positions:
* Development of new concepts and algorithms for graph mining, anomaly detection or predictive analytics on high dimensional data, dynamic data streams, and large networks
* Interdisciplinary collaborations with industry partners in joint research projects
* Collaboration in the conception and implementation of an open source platform for big data analytics
* Publication and presentation of scientific results on top international venues
Qualifications and Skills:
* Excellent degree (Master/Diploma) in computer science, physics, mathematics or similar programs
* Good knowledge in computational statistics, linear algebra, and a higher programming language
* Experience in data mining, machine learning, graph mining or stream mining is an advantage
* High degree of creativity, commitment, analytical competence, and teamwork
* High proficiency in English, both written and spoken
** Environment **
The positions are embedded in a creative, attractive, and internationally renowned research environment with support for publications at leading international conferences, hosted at the technically outstanding campus of Bonn-Aachen International Center for Information Technology (b-it). We offer research and teaching activities in cooperation with RWTH Aachen University, University of Bonn, and Fraunhofer Institutes. Through its unique geographical location in Rhineland, we provide an exceptional work environment. We aim to fill six positions with a salary based on the German public sector (TV-L E13) as soon as possible and looking for full-time candidates.
Research associates / PhD candidates will be enrolled in the University of Bonn, an international research university that offers a wide range of degree programs. With 200 years of history, about 38,000 students, over
6.000 employees, and an excellent domestic and international reputation, University of Bonn is among the leading universities. The University of Bonn is committed to diversity and equal opportunity. It is certified as a family-friendly university. We aim to increase the proportion of women in data science and to promote their careers in particular. Therefore, we encourage women with relevant qualifications to apply.
** Application **
Interested candidates are requested to send an application as a single PDF by e-mail to Prof. Dr. Emmanuel Müller (firstname.lastname@example.org). The application should consist of a curriculum vitae and a motivation letter highlighting research interests providing complementary research questions to at least two of our publications at ACM SIGKDD, IEEE ICDE, IEEE ICDM, ICML, ECML PKDD or WWW. Furthermore, names and contact information for two references are required. Applications will be reviewed immediately, and the review process will continue until the positions are filled.